Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Its been a while.....[V Kaul]




Awesome job on the reunion - given all the enthusiasm it has generated (though I think the number of posts are still lower than the discussion on the whiskey-rajma issue). Congrats to Kapil, Kalpana and everyone else who made this possible.

Its been 10 years since graduation (since I joined ABN AMRO, thanks to some awesome work by Karthik) and in some sense, I have recently come a full circle - recently joining another European bank (DB), though having cycled through a MBA at NYU and a few years each at UBS and Merrill (seems like my next stop will have to be ICICI because there aren't too many other banks left).

I graduated in 2001 from business school and joined telecom investment banking at UBS (that has to take the cake in terms of bad timing). Moved to Merrill in 2004 to improve my transaction experience after a few dry years and moved to DB when Merrill gave me too much transaction experience.

Very surprisingly, all the exciting stuff I did has been before starting work here - proposing to my fiancee' (now wife) in running shorts/40F weather after running the Chicago marathon, going to the UK to watch cricket in the summers (incl an England/Aussie women game where I was prob 1 of 100 spectators at Lords), running a marathon near the arctic circle at midnight, watching an entire season of 24 in a day non-stop etc.

Still no kids (and no car, not sure what people might find more important). Live in Jersey and work in NYC (and hence try to pass myself off as being a New Yorker, even though I am not).

Have attached a pic of my wife (Sonia) and myself. She was born in Kanpur and I was taking her on a "reunion" trip to Agra and Kanpur (not a good idea to go to Kanpur).

Two wise observations at this stage - there is no point of having a plan in life and Chakra's predictions based on reading my hand have been way too accurate (Chakra - there is still time to extract your fair market share from Ajmeri Baba).

Cheers

P.S. As I write this England is getting crushed, SL is toying with NZ and we are all praying for Tendulkar against SA

2 comments:

Calyug ka Hobbes said...

Kaul,

Thanks for helping me out here. The silence of being the only post for more than half a day was getting to me!

Watching 24 in 24 is something that was so expected of you :-)...or par for the day, shld I say.

...and let's track down Chakra - there is a business plan there. If Ajmeri Baba and Pundit Maharaj can dominate the mkt from the UK, imagine ....

Cheers
Karthik

Calyug ka Hobbes said...

btw, could you kindly edit your post and introduce your wife by "name" Sir - that was the idea!

Best of luck with the new gig.

Cheers